Sunday, November 14, 2010

Oops, it has been a long time since I have updated again. October apparently slipped away from me. Actually, it has been tough since my computer crashed. I can use my phone for emails and stuff, but it's hard to type a lot on there.

We just got back from the ATA, which was a lot of fun! A lot of work, but definitely worth it. I had planned on riding two horses - Paddy, a 4 year old that I have been working with for the past couple of months to get him ready, and Tanzeln, John and Kari Cassel's stallion. I had only begun working with Tanz a few days before the ATA, since I wanted to go and ride, and Beth (his regular rider) did not care to. He is tricky to ride, since he doesn't want to take any contact, but he was really good, and I had a great time with him. Kari likes how I ride him, and we are going to talk to Jean about having me take him on, which would be great since I will get to show him.

I didn't end up getting to ride Paddy at all, which I was really disappointed in. We were showing him in two classes. Erin was going to ride him in one, and I was going to ride him in the next class. However, the classes were so unorganized, that we did not have time to get everyone prepared for the class. I ended up having to get him ready and warm him up while Erin got changed, and since I was not changed for my class, she rode him in both.

We choreographed a 10 stallion quadrille, and only had 2 practices with the whole group before the show on Friday night. I rode Tanz. I also got to present Tanz in the big arena for the stallion parade beforehand. They played "I want to break free" while I rode, which is one of my favorite Queen songs. I was so happy with how the demo went, that I teared up as I exited. Actually, what I felt was that I was the closest to my genuine self that I have ever been. Riding and showing in front of a crowd is what I feel like I am meant to do.

We did not finish until 10 pm that night. I had been staying in the horse trailer with Erin, which was cramped, needless to say. John Cassel mentioned that they had a huge suite that had a separate room with a pull out bed, tv, and bathroom. I asked if I could stay there that night, which I did, and it was awesome! My house does not even have tv! I was too tired to really watch anything, but it was nice to flip through the channels =)

Saturday was the stallion approvals. We had brought Indelible, who is a 4 year old clone of Hailo. We were not sure he was going to be approved, since we are very critical and can see that his hind legs get wide behind when he trots out. However, of the 10 or 11 stallions that were presented, he was the only one to be approved! I guess Jean knows what she is doing after all ;) Afterwards, we packed up and the trailers hauled out. Roy was sick, so Jean had an extra ticket to the banquet that night, and I ended up being able to go. It was a lot of fun! Jean won an award for Stiletto, since he has proven himself in both eventing and dressage, which is hard for any horse to do. Tiffany and Andrew were there with Tiffany's mom. Even though Tiffany had gotten run over by a stallion the night before, she was still in good form on the dance floor. Anna from Montana was there with us, as well as this Andrew guy who ended up hanging out with us all night. He was actually Very Funny, as well as a good dancer, so he was a lot of fun to have around. Of course, my luck, he's gay. Anyway, we all danced and danced at the banquet, met some fun people from Wisconsin, actually, and went to a club afterwards, where I got to ride a mechanical bull. Let me just say, that I kick butt at riding the mechanical bull! I couldn't even believe that I stayed on as long as I did. Even after I had that thought, I stayed on even longer! John and Kari kept the room for me, so I was able to stay there again that night. Awesome!

Work has been going really well, and I have been super happy. Erin's assistant, Kate got here and relieved me of my position. It is really nice to not have to do all that grooming, and just worry about working my horses. I do still help Erin out, but it is on a more limited basis, when I have time. I offer to help Iris a lot as well, which usually ends up being just riding some of her horses, which has been great. I really love being able to ride a lot of different horses every day.

Danny, who used to work at the farm next door moved to Gainesville with his boyfriend. He is still a good friend, however, and I have been spending a lot of my days off with him. We go rock climbing together, which is awesome, because I have always been looking for a climbing partner. His boyfriend, Tim, is really nice, and I have enjoyed getting to know him as well. Danny's replacement at the farm is a Canadian girl named Miranda. We have hung out a few times. She is really nice, and a very good rider. I am looking forward to getting to know her better.

Halloween was a lot of fun. Saturday night Beth, Ryan and I went out in Gainesville. Beth was a vampire, I was a french maid, and Ryan was a 50s gangster. We had sushi, and then went out to the clubs. We ended up going to the UC, which is a gay club, and we danced and danced. They had a costume contest. which was fun. At one point, Ryan took me aside and said that he did not know what was going on with him and Beth, and that he would like to know if she was interested in him, because otherwise he could puruse other interests - like me! After he dropped me off that night, Beth told him that she was not interested in anything with him, and he immediately texted me to see if he could stop over the next day to see me. Needless to say, Beth was very upset when she found that out, and there was a lot of subsequent drama. Even though they are "just friends" now, Ryan has still given Beth his car to use on an unlimited basis until she gets her own car. He put her on the insurance and everything.

Iris's sister, Baerbel, came to clinic with us in October. I got to ride Isabeau with her. It was the most amazing ride I have ever had on that mare. I am trying to scrape some extra money together so that I can visit Baerbel in the spring, and train with her for a month or so. Herwig is coming the end of this month, and I am going to try and ride with him as well.

Erin is leaving next week. I can't believe her 6 month stay is up already. I will miss her a lot, and the farm is not going to be the same. I am going to miss her as a roommate as well. Meghan is coming in December, and will stay with me for 3 months or so. I think it will be good to get to know her a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment