Friday, January 29, 2010

Jean broke her collar bone a few days ago. We had Peggy Flemming, a chiropractor and accupuncturist working on some of our horses. Many people were watching, and she had much equipment laying around. Beth came by with one of her horses who spooked at the equipment on the ground and slammed into Jean who fell against the wall and hit her head. Both Beth and the horse were shaken up, and I know Beth feels really bad, even though it wasn't her fault. Jean is 70 years old, and according to one doctor she has a 50% chance of it healing on it's own. She is considering flying out to the west coast to have surgery with a brilliant doctor she has worked with in the past.

Beth's mom is here for a visit. It is cray how much they are alike! Today they rode together all day, and each rode like 8 horses. I joked that I don't even know if my Mom has ever been on a horse =) This weekend they are taking an equine massage course. I am learning that massage and chiropractic work on horses makes a huge difference. Arella was adjusted a few days ago, and I cannot believe the difference in her.

I rode Adeline in Jean's saddle the other day. That is a horse that I have just had trouble with. She never seems happy in her work. However, when I rode her in that saddle, it made all the difference, and I felt like I was riding a different horse. Andrew was visiting at the time and saw the ride and commented on how far she is coming along. I have decided to not ride her in any other saddle! I have also learned how important it is for the rider to have a saddle that helps their position. My saddle doesn't do anything - it doesn't help, and it doesn't hurt. I always thought that it was better to learn "the hard way" and not get any help from the saddle, but I am beginning to realize that I will actually be able to ride better by getting some support from a knee roll, because I will be able to relax more. Long story short (too late) I have been putting the word out that I am looking to buy a saddle. I can't spend a lot though, because I don't have a lot.

We took some video of Raniero yesterday. I really didn't think it was all that good, and even said so in the video, but I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. I am beginning to look like the riders that I admire whose positions are correct, and who look like they are just sitting up there while the horse is going beautifully. Now I know how much work it is to make it look effortless!

No comments:

Post a Comment