Sunday, June 27, 2010

In my purse I carry a quote from Shel Silverstein, "Listen to the mustnt's, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen child. Anything can be."

That quote is an inspiration to me, as well as a reminder. A couple of years ago I never would have dreamed that a life like this would be possible for me, much less that I would be successful at it, but I am starting to feel like all my dreams are coming true. It's a lot of work, but it's happening! For starters, I had a lesson with Erin on Hilife the other day. I rode that horse to the best of my ability, and Erin actually complimented me afterwards, telling me that it was very good riding. Erin is not quick to serve out compliments, so they are often well deserved. She said that I could really ride him, and has already had me start riding him on my own on days she is out. During my lesson, she was riding Immy, her "Big" stallion, a stallion with a lot of potential. I had done ground work with him when Erin is not in, but I figured it would be about 3 years before she ever let me sit on him, since she tends to be protective with the horses she really likes. But, on this day, she was having a bit of trouble with him, and asked if I wanted to ride him. I could barely believe what she was asking me, and I asked her to repeat herself even though I understood her perfectly. Of course I hopped on. I remember mounting up, not even believing it. I tried to retain my composure as I rode, but I was jumping up and down inside. Fortunately, the other Erin (my roommate) came into the arena as I was riding, otherwise I don't think anyone would have believed me. I think I did an ok job with him, though he was a bit wiggly, so I hope that Erin will let me ride him again in the future, but it probably won't happen again Remove Formatting from selectionfor awhile.

Kite's owner came the other day to see how she is going. I guess she is thinking about taking her home, which I didn't realize. I rode her walk/trot/canter in the round pen, which is awesome for only having the horse for 3 weeks (especially considering I have not started a horse myself before), and she wondered why I was not riding her in the arena. I felt a bit disheartened that she was not as pleased with her progress as I was, but I still have her for another 2 weeks to see where we get.

Tomorrow is my day off! Not sure what I am going to do yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment