Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Time is so weird around here. The days are so long, but go by so quick. It seems like forever ago, but it was only 2 days ago that I was a demo rider for the L program. Basically, the L program is for people who are working towards being a judge. You have to have all 3 medals, amoung other qualifications to begin judging. You start at the lower levels and work your way up. I have only ever shown training level, but did a demo ride at second level on Trevoreou, who is trained to Grand Prix. I was nervous, since it is a lot of pressure to ride in front of so many qualified people, Erin and Jean included, but I think we did rather well. We rode parts of a couple of tests, then took a break while the prospective judges talked about how they would have scored it, and what they saw - good and bad. The movements are scored 1 - 10, with 10 being the best, though hardley anyone ever gets that. We actually got a 9 on our entrance and first halt! We scored pretty well on the other movements as well, though it was interesting to see what we have to work on. Overall, it was a very good experience, and a good way to meet dressage people in the area, and to start getting my name out.

Yesterday, we took Hannah out for her last night here =( We were going to go to karaoke, but found out that it was cancelled in lieu of someone's 69th birthday party. We decided to go to Applebee's instead. On our way there, driving down Hwy 90, Hannah said "Is there something in the road ahead?" I saw someone's tail reflectors on the side of the road and had planned to go around it, but when I put my brights on I saw that it was a whole semi carrying round bales that had jack knifed in the middle of the road!! We came very close to running into it, and I had to slam on my brakes - thank goodness Hannah called attention to it! We were the first people on the scene, so we called 911 and got out to see if everyone was ok, which they were. I guess the driver swerved to miss hitting a tree that was up by the roots in the middle of the road - maybe fell off another truck - ? Anyway, it was scary!

Today was a long day - 13 hours. We usually get about an hour break after morning chores, and then have to quick sneak a break in to eat again later at some point, which is what happened today. However, it was a very productive day, even though it seemed to include a lot of waiting around, since the saddle fitter was out today. I am starting a young horse on my own - Kite, and we cantered for the first time in the round pen today! She is so smart, and has already figured out that leg means to go forward, and stops and turns like a pro. I had Erin Root (my roommate) hold the lunge line while we cantered for the first time, because she can have a little buck in her. But, she didn't buck at all, and Erin actually lost hold of the lunge line, which could have been a complete disaster, but I was able to pull Kite up calmly without anything happening, and we ended on that. Next time I will use a longer lunge line ;) I have also been helping Erin start Fulcrum, and we ponied him out in the field for the first time today, which went well. Also, Rezzi's owners came out tonight to see him and Tanzlen go, so I rode him for them. He was a star! That horse gets better each time I ride him, and it is so great to see that they are pleased with his progress.

Erin also had me ride Hilife today, one of Jean's stallions that she has been training. She is actually training him for a girl that is a parapalegic, and does not have use of her lower body. She has competed in the para-olympics and won the gold medal! She has also trained with Pat Parelli. She rode Hilife awhile back and really liked him, and nearly convinced her sponsors to buy him. However, she was involved in a bad automobile accident about a month ago, so it will be awhile longer before she can take him, if it is still going to work out. Erin has been training him so that he can be ridden without using your legs. Instead, she rides him with two whips, and uses voice commands. It's really neat! She has been very protective about what gets done with him when she is not around, but it sounds like she is going to start letting me ride him! This is a real compliment to my riding, and I am very excited about it. Looking ahead - the annual ATA (American Trakehner Assoc) is meeting this year in Jacksonville, and Jean plans on bringing all her stallions. It would be very exciting for me to get to ride in it, since Erin would definitely be riding Immy. Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment