Sunday, August 9, 2009

Today is my birthday! I am 31 today, though I hardly feel it. Yesterday, we got out of work on time, and all decided to go to Applebees for food and drinks. We played "what if," which is a fun game that allows you to be a little silly. I had a piece of chocolate cake at midnight, which we all shared. When asked what I would be doing on my birthday if I was back in Wisconsin, I said that I would be out with all my friends, and started to cry. It was then that I really, really missed everyone!

This morning, Erin and I went to Alachua to go to The Temple of the Universe. The name sounds a little strange, and there are some odd rituals that they go through, but the lectures are very interesting and the people are very nice. Today they talked about the mind, and how "you" are not your mind or your thoughts. I am to the point right now that I realize that I can observe my thoughts and choose to listen to them or not, and sometimes I will consciously choose to think a different thought if the one that is in my mind does not serve me, but the lecture took it one step further and suggested that we start to question "who" is being affected by these thoughts to begin to see who "I" really am. At the end of the lecture, there was some singing in sancrit. I did not sing along since I did not know the words, or even understand what they were singing about, but some people were really getting into it, and some people were even crying. After that, we all stood around in a big circle and held hands and had some time for announcements. Erin announced that it was my birthday, and everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to me. It was the most people that I have ever had sing me happy birthday.

After the Temple, Erin, her friend Shannon, and their friend Ashley (a guy) and I all went to lunch. I was a little nervous, since I was supposed to only take a half day off from work, but I checked in with the barn manager and she said that this would be my day off this week then. That actually means that I will have to work more than a week without a day off now, but I think it will be ok. We had a very yummy lunch, and some good conversation. Erin was very thoughtful and gave me a gift. Their friend Ashley is very attractive, is an accupuncturist and runs a meditation class. He is from the Midwest as well, Monroe, actually. I thought he was interested in me since he kept finding reasons to touch me, but he did not ask for my number. I didn't exactly make it easy for him though either, which he is probably used to, so we will see if anything happens in the future.

I found fleas on Boscoe and I freaked out. He had a flea and tick preventative on, so I don't know how it happened, but apparently all the dogs and cats out here have fleas. I have never had to deal with fleas, and I could hardly sleep last night because I was afraid that they were going to get on me somehow. So, today I went to Wal-Mart and got a flea collar, a flea spray, and a room spray as well as a flea shampoo. That should take care of it, but it will be an ongoing process. Gross!!!!

My friends at the barn were talking about taking me to the springs for my birthday yesterday, so I was a bit surprised when I got home and saw them getting into the car to leave without having called me to let me know they were going. I think they are mad at me for ducking out of work today, but that is not a good enough reason to ruin my birthday! Ah well, I hate to be disappointed by people, but at least it is sooner rather than later with this bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment