Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Yesterday we had a barn meeting, and we decided that we would start work at 6:30 in the hopes that we could get more horses worked before the heat of the afternoon, and then end early. So today we did it. We started bringing horses in before it was even light out, worked all day, I managed to get a nice break for lunch, and then we fed early. But of course, right as we were about to start turning out, it started storming like I had not seen it do since I got here. Those of us that were in the barn were stuck in the barn for nearly an hour, while those in the arena had to all huddle towards one end to avoid getting wet. It started to clear up after that, but it was still raining so we decided to ride another round of horses (which includes hosing them off and cleaning up all their tack afterwards) before starting on turnout. We did not get done until nearly 9:00. It was a long day, but I did not feel rushed, so I surprisingly am not too tired. Though, I am glad that tomorrow is my day off.

Today was the last day of the clinic. It was amazing to see some of the horses and riders working on tempi changes, piaffe, and passage. It makes me feel like I could really get there some day, and I don't see why not with the caliber of horses and instruction that I now have at my fingertips. With all the discussion in the dressage world regarding the position of the horses's poll, and whether or not their face is behind the verticle or not, I was surprised that the clinician (from the Spanish riding school) did not mention it once. The horses were not worked "deep," but there was no mention of when the horses came behind the verticle. The focus was on completing the exercises correctly, and keeing the horses soft and straight.

I rode 3 horses today. Glory is really coming along. We are focusing on getting her to work through the back, and to make sure she does not use that big neck against us. So far she has been very willing to do what I ask of her, even though she is very out of shape. We cantered today for the first time under saddle, and it was very comfortable and not too unbalanced. I think it helped that the farrier trimmed her feet yesterday and moved the breakover point more towards the middle of her foot, rather than towards the toe where it had been previously. There is still more work to do on her feet, but they are already looking much better.

So far I love Florida! It is hot during the day, but I have been managing pretty well so far. And it cools down after it rains, and the mornings are pretty cool, so that is nice. However, the first person to walk down the barn aisles has the job of clearing out all the spider webs that grew overnight. Some of the spiders down here are pretty scary looking, but I am trying to turn around my attitude about them. However, Erin told me about a spider with 14 legs in one of the bathrooms the other day, and will not go in there now.

Tomorrow I get to sleep in, catch up on homework, do laundry, and grocery shop. If I have time I might go to yoga, or take Glory on a trail ride.

2 comments:

  1. What fun to read about your adventures! All except the spiders..... Hope you enjoyed your day off

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Collette, I am so glad to hear you are having a great time! I just came back from Japan and read all your blogs. Can't wait to hear more! I find it awesome that you have the blog. You will be so happy when you read it over and over when you are in your 90ies and in a rocking chair in front of the fire place and know you made a great decision :-)

    ReplyDelete